회고사 - 톰슨 교장(홍콩한국국제학교 국제부)
  • 해당된 기사를 공유합니다

회고사 - 톰슨 교장(홍콩한국국제학교 국제부)

살면서, 우리는 다가올 미래를 보라고 격려할뿐 과거를 보라고 하진 않습니다. 하지만 저는 이제 홍콩한국국제학교에서의 21년을 뒤로하고 떠날 준비를 하고 있습니다. 교사로서, 교감으로서 그리고 최근까지 맡았던 교장으로서의 시간들을 되돌아보는 중입니다.

1995년 KIS에 부임한 이후부터 학교 발전과 성공과정에 함께 할 수 있어서 정말 즐거웠습니다. 오늘의 KIS가 있기까지 아시아 금융위기와 사스(SARS) 파동도 견뎌냈고, 다른 오래된 학교나 신설 학교, 심지어 앞으로 개교할 학교와도 치열하게 경쟁하며 헌신해왔습니다.

KIS에서 저의 첫번째 일은 초등부 특수교육(Springboard Primary Class) 교사였습니다. (영어권 장애학생들을 가르치는) 스프링보드 프로그램은  국제학교 커뮤니티에서도 흔치않은 특별한 것이었습니다. KIS의 지원과 노력을 통해 많은 학생들이 변화되고 학부모들도 많은 참여를 해주셨지요.

오랫동안 KIS에서 함께 하면서, 저는 KIS 국제부가 전 세계에서 온 학생과 학부모들이 요구하는 다양한 것들을 충족해야할 정도로 성장하는 모습을 지켜봐왔습니다. 그중에는 유치원 입학부터 시작한 친구도 있는데, 13학년부터는 졸업하거나 떠나기 시작합니다. 현재 KIS의 Secondary 국제부 학생들은 홍콩, 캐나다, 미국, 영국, 호주, 뉴질랜드 등으로 진학하고 있습니다.

교장이라는 역할은 학교와 학생의 미래를 위해 계획하는 중요한 책임감을 갖게 해주었습니다.  이제는 전 교사가 모두 함께 동참하여 교육영역을 넓혀가고 있습니다. A레벨 시험대비, 대학진학을 위한 고등과정도 제공하며, 초등부 보충수업 및 ECA 프로그램도 확대하고 있습니다.

교장으로서 가졌던 가장 좋았던 것은 학생과 그 가정을 알게 해준 만남의 기회였습니다. 제가 6월에 KIS를 떠나게 되면 가장 그리워하겠지요. 그 소중한 만남들을 말입니다.

Reflections

In life we are encouraged to look forward and not back.  However, as I prepare to leave KIS after twenty one years, it is fitting that I reflect on my time as teacher, Assistant Principal and recently as Principal.
Since coming to KIS in 1995, it has been a pleasure to participate in the growth and success of the school.  Surviving the Asian crisis, SARS, strong competition from long established and new up and coming schools, have all contributed to KIS being where it is today.

My first role at KIS was as the teacher for the Springboard Primary Class, a unique programme for students with learning difficulties within the international schools community.  The support within the school has certainly made a difference to the lives and parents of the many students that have attended the Springboard classes.

Being part of KIS for so long, I have had the opportunity to watch the International Section grow to meet the needs of students and parents from around the world.  Some of our students joined the school in Reception and have or will, graduate from Year 13.  Our secondary students are leaving KIS for tertiary education in Hong Kong, Canada, USA, England, Australia and New Zealand.

The role of principal brings many responsibilities such as planning for the future, that of the school and the students.  Together, we have extended the range of A-Levels, provided university preparation for our senior students, introduced additional classes in Primary and extended our ECA programme.

However, one of my favourite parts of being a principal is the opportunity that it gives me to get to know students and their families.  This is something I will really miss when I leave KIS in June.

번역/사진 손정호 편집장

모바일 버전으로 보기